On the 4th January 2021 HM Government issued rules and guidelines for the latest (and hopefully last) lockdown to control the number of Covid-19 cases. These rules apply to England; Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own rules.
A full (22 page) description of the new rules and guidelines can be found here and is also available in the attachment below.
A brief, non-exhaustive, summary of the new lockdown rules as presented on the BBC website is as follows:
- People cannot leave their homes except for certain reasons, like the first lockdown last March
- These include essential medical needs, food shopping, exercise and work for those who cannot do so from home
- All schools and colleges will close to most pupils from Tuesday with remote learning until February half term
- Early years settings such as nurseries will stay open
- End-of-year exams will not take place this summer as normal
- Elsewhere, university students should not return to campuses and will be taught online
- Restaurants can continue to offer food delivery, but takeaway alcohol will be banned
- Outdoor sports venues – such as golf courses, tennis courts and outside gyms – must close
- But outdoor playgrounds will remain open
- Amateur team sports are not allowed, but elite sport such as Premier League football can continue