Mary Tavy Signal Box

The first line to reach Mary Tavy was Brunel’s broad gauge railway in 1865 It was the furthest west that the railway had got at the time and was South Devon’s northen extension from Tavistock to Lydford. It then headed west down the Lyd valley to Launceston and beyond. (These early trains ran on track that was just over 7 feet wide. Although designed by Brunel, the railway was run by the South Devon Railway until financial difficulties in 1876 lead to a takeover by the Great Western Railway. Brunel’s broad gauge network was converted in 1892 to run on the narrower ‘standard’ 4ft 8.5 ins gauge introduced by Robert Stevenson.)

When a rival railway company, the London and South Western Railway, extended their Okehampton line south to Tavistock in 1874, Mary Tavy got a second line but there was no station. Those that wanted to go to Okehampton by train would have had to change lines at Lydford where both railway companies had stations

Note the station sign reads ‘Mary Tavy and Blackdown’

Signal Box 1963

Mary Tavy Station in 1963. Photo – George Cutland